Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My new danish obession: Hans

Hans Christian Andersen is the writer of many fairy tales. Before I came to Denmark, the name sounded kind of familiar, but i could of never told you who it was. When I first arrived, I discovered he was the writer of "The Little Mermaid". This is why Kobenhavn has a little statue of her...b/c this is the country where Hans is from. Anyway, after visiting Tivoli a couple times, and looking through the Hans books my fellow students are reading for class, I have discovered he has written many stories i am acquainted with. For example:
The emporer's new suit
The princess and the pea
thumbellina
the ugly duckling
the nightengale
the tinder box.............and more

After visiting the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale shop today in Illums, i really want to get one. But I don't want just the most popular collection, i want the whole book...the one with over 80 fairy tales.

Anyway, the point of this blog is to point out that even though Danmark is very small, great ppl still come from it. I mean, there is only 5 million ppl, and there was way less when Hans lived long ago. So what I am trying to express is that there are some things that make me happy to be in Danmark. Hans is one of them. I wish I could of taken the class. Maybe not as practical as "Doing Business in the European Union", but certainly more entertaining.

No comments: